EPDX CITK: Aviary
- For the pudding, milk, sugar, rice, butter, cinnamon, cardamom, orange, lemon, and salt boil in a large pot for about an hour before Whitehead adds the egg mixture and cools..
- Meanwhile, saffron goes into a pot to create a saffron gelee.
- For the gelee, Whitehead first cooks wine, sugar, saffron and salt until wine "loses its 'raw' flavor," she says.
- While the saffron mixture boils, Whitehead blooms the gelatin in cold water.
- The gelation is stirred until dissolved, then added into the hot wine/saffron. The mixture is then strained into a shallow container lined with plastic wrap..
- Once chilled and set, the gelee can be peeled from the plastic and cut into shapes.
- Whitehead preps some blood orange for the finished pudding.