Images courtesy Bowery Bagels
Let the bagel wars officially begin. Old Town's Bowery Bagels — owned by KitchenCru founder (and New York native) Michael Madigan — is set to debut this Saturday, June 16, representing the first shots in what folks are giddily describing as a rapidly escalating post-Kettleman-era "bagel war." Madigan, whose grandfather was a motorman on the NYC subway, says that the spot derives inspiration from the Bowery neighborhood that acts as a diving line between Chinatown, Little Italy, and the Lower East Side. The space, which features a custom-built bagel case (made from salvaged wardrobes and medicine cabinets found in an upstairs apartment) and a Bowery subway station mosiac, will also house CruMarket, an artisan-product retail market featuring several of KitchenCru's clients.
In addition to the namesake bagels, in flavors both traditional (sesame, everything, poppy) and out of the ordinary (miso soy ginger), Bowery will offer a selection of breakfast and lunch sandwiches, a rotating soup, and Stumptown coffee products.
- Stark: roast beef on ciabatta with mushroom duxelle, gruyere, pickled shallots, argula
- Pettygrove: roast pork loin on multigrain with mustard, gouda, apple and celeriac slaw, red leaf lettuce
- Lovejoy: Roast turkey on baguette with black pepper mayo, white cheddar, peppadews, watercress
- Flanders: Grilled zucchini and eggplant on focaccia with roasted red pepper, arugula pesto, chevre, red onion, lettuce
- Burnside: breakfast sandwich with house-made bacon, egg, cheddar
- Lent: breakfast sandwich with caramelized onion, gruyere, egg
- Fremont: breakfast sandwich with house-made sausage, egg, cheddar
- plus a Tails & Trotters "sausage of the week"