After a disappointing season for the Blazers faithful and a six-week, temporary summer shutter to revamp its menu, NE MLK spots bar Spirit of 77 officially relaunches tonight with new skeeball machines, pinball, and a new food menu by owner/restauranteur Nate Tilden (Clyde Common, Olympic Provisions).
As previously reported, the revamped Spirit menu highlights ingredient-driven small plates and sandwiches, scrapping fried staples like hushpuppies, chicken fingers, and baked potatoes in favor of options like BBQ pork belly and wings (yes, the latter = still fried), smoked tri-tip steak and root vegetable sandwiches, and a healthy salad option named for Blazers legend Bill Walton.
· Fried peanuts, in shell with chili salt
· Shoestring onion rings, Sir Kensington's ketchup, and horseradish
· BBQ pork belly, red eye gravy, and fresh corn grits
· Twice-fried chicken wings, Togarashi, and habenero green goddess
· Bill Walton's garden: chopped romaine, spinach and arugula, summer green beans, grilled squash, heirloom cherry tomatoes, eight-minute egg with tofu crouton chips, and dill-garlic-Dijon vinaigrette
Sandwiches (all served with Tim's chips):
· OP Bratwurst, braised red cabbage, and horseradish on a roll
· Beer-battered cod, grilled corn relish, coleslaw, and remoulade on a roll
· Root vegetable "burger" onion rings, chipolte yogurt, and arugula on a keiser
· Smoked tri-tip steak, sauce romesco, charred scallion sour cream, and arugula on ciabatta
· Fried OP mortadella, whipped cream cheese, and kim-chee on a potato bun
Spirit reopens tonight (as part of a public launch party for coffee book Left Coast Roast). Hours moving forward: 4p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday; varying opening hours (depending on game times) Saturday and Sunday, though close at midnight and 10p.m., respectively.
· Spirit of 77 [Official site]
· All Previous Spirit of 77 Coverage [Eater PDX]