Last Friday, famous Californian food people Alice Waters and Paul Bertolli (of Chez Panisse) hosted the 2013 edition of the Good Food Awards in San Francisco, honoring "food that is delicious, respectful of the environment, and connected to communities and cultural traditions." And as per usual, Portland — and Oregon — artisans nabbed their share of awards, with seven PDX-based brands among 2013's winners.
The Good Food Awards separate prizes by categories, from beer to charcuterie to "confections," and winners were recognized in a medal-laden ceremony (and "grand tasting" the following day at SF's Ferry Building). The Portland winners, along with their recognized products:
· Hopworks Urban Brewery: HUB organic lager
· CHOP Butchery: chicken liver bourbon mousse
· Olympic Provisions: Lomo Di Parma
· Heart Roasters: Ethiopia – Yukro & Kenya – Ndumberi,
· Portland Roasting: Ethiopia - organic Sidamo
· Bees & Beans: mint bar
· Unbound Pickling: French Quarter Pickled Beans, Aromatic Cajun Spice
The state of Oregon, meanwhile, collected 15 awards total, making an appearance in every category except chocolate. Also repping Oregon:
· Deschutes Brewery (Bend): Obsidian stout
· Full Sail Brewing (Hood River): Ltd6
· Briar Rose Creamery (Dundee): Briar Rose chevre
· Case Coffee Roasters (Ashland): Kenya – Nyeri Gaturiri Co-Op-Peaberry
· Arrowhead Chocolates (Joseph): Huckleberry truffle
· Lille Belle Farms (Central Point): The Most Awesome Chocolate Bar EVER!
· Hoskins Berry Farm (Philomath): Blackberry vinegar
· Cascade Peak Spirits (Ashland): Organic Nation gin and Organic Nation vodka
More information, including the complete list of 2013 winners, at the official site.
· Good Food Awards [Official site]
Image of Chop courtesy Avila/EPDX