EPDX CITK: Gregory Gourdet
- First, Gourdet gets his fire hot, lighting a grill fired by petrified wood.
- Gourdet blanches a Spanish day-boat octopus three times before simmering...
- ... in a bath of curry paste, garlic, ginger and cilantro stems.
- After a 90-minute simmer, the beast is removed.
- After simmering for 90 minutes and cooling the octopus, Gourdet peels off the colored flesh, leaving the tentacles intact.
- The tentacles are rubbed with a little olive oil before hitting the grill.
- The grilled octopus is plated with a watermelon "curry," made from toasted and crushed cumin and coriander seeds, which are simmered with turmeric, sweet chili powder, and watermelon.
- The dish is plated with Chinese sausage "crisps," avocado, curry oil, olive oil, pickled watermelon rind, and sea salt.