Photo of PDX courtesy bandita/Flickr
As promised, the culinary scene at Portland International Airport (PDX) is getting a major upgrade: Today, the Port of Portland released its list of upcoming restaurant tenants, and there's one game-changer on the list: The Country Cat at PDX. The Oregonian reports the Country Cat — in addition to outposts of coastal chainlet Mo's Seafood & Chowder, Henry's Tavern, and Bambuza Vietnam Kitchen — are among the first slew of restaurants in what concessions developer David Pfeiffer calls "more of that neighborhood feel that Portland is known for." The concepts join chef Ken Norris's previously confirmed airport restaurant Clutch.
Eater has reached out to Country Cat's Adam and Jackie Sappington for more information, including whether the restaurant will be a sit-down affair or more like a grab-and-go kiosk: but an outpost at the airport could represent a major upgrade in terms of PDX's breakfast offerings. According to the O, all restaurants on the current list will debut next year. UPDATE: Read the complete Port of Portland news release, below:
New Shops & Restaurants Coming to PDX
Portland International Airport travelers will soon have 11 new shop and restaurant options.
The Port of Portland Commission today signed 10-year leases for the shops and restaurants coming on line in early 2015. The leases are the first phase of refreshing PDX concessions through 2017, as approximately 75 percent of existing leases expire. The award-winning PDX concessions theme is based on offering the best of the Northwest in addition to popular national brands. All PDX shops and restaurants provide products at the same prices as at their off-airport locations. PDX currently offers travelers more than 60 shops and restaurants.
"We welcome these exciting new shops and restaurants to our airport family," said Chris Czarnecki, Port general manager of aviation business and properties. "We searched far and wide to bring these great options to our travelers, speaking to some 250 individuals interested in operating at PDX."
New shops and restaurants
· Bambuza Vietnam Kitchen – Healthy, local Vietnamese grill noodle bowls, rice plates, salad rolls, Pho noodle soups, Banh Mi sandwiches, Vietnamese coffee and bubble tea.
· Café Yumm! – Regional healthy foods featuring bowls, wraps, salads and a selection of vegan and gluten-free offerings.
· cc McKenzie – Local women's apparel boutique featuring a wide selection of shoes, apparel items and accessories, expanding existing PDX operations.
· Henry's Tavern – Local iconic casual dining bar featuring a diverse menu for all age groups, and a full bar featuring local beer and wine.
· Hissho Sushi – One of the largest sushi operators in the U.S., offering hot and cold, healthy entrees, plus ramen, bao sandwiches and breakfast items.
· Metalsmiths Sterling – United Kingdom inspired luxury brand sterling silver jewelry; one of the leading sterling silver jewelry design houses abroad for over 15 years.
· MOD Pizza – Individual, artisan-style pizza made on demand – super fast; choose from 30+ toppings, all for one low price.
· Mo's Seafood & Chowder – An Oregon coast icon, featuring world famous clam chowder, seafood baskets, salads, seafood sandwiches and breakfast sandwiches.
· Potbelly Sandwiches – National sandwich concept featuring healthy sandwiches, salads, and wraps made to order.
· Subway Sandwiches – National concept featuring sandwiches, wraps and other made to order menu items.
· The Country Cat at PDX – Local iconic casual dining bar featuring a farm to table menu for all age groups, and a full bar featuring local beer and wine.
This fall, outreach is planned as part of the second phase of PDX concessions redevelopment.
· The Restaurants Coming to Portland International Airport in 2015 [OregonLive]
· All Previous Country Cat Coverage [Eater PDX]