POP-UP AT LARDO — Wednesday, June 3, chef Jun Robles of Oven and Shaker and Hamlet is cooking an Asian pop up at Lardo on Hawthorne. He'll be working out of the old cart parked on the lot from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Dubbed "Neesay," which riffs off "nisei," the Japanese term for "second generation," the popup's menu merges Korean, Japanese and Filipino influences. His inspiration comes from growing up in a multicultural neighborhood of families that often shared meals. Check out the menu:
- Neesay Bowl: char siu braised pork shoulder, furikake jasmine rice, fried egg, fresno chili, sesame carrot, pickled red onion, cilantro, and scallions
- Korean Brick Chicken: crispy chicken thigh, honey gochujang, Neesay kimchee, fried egg, and scallions
- Coconut Collards and Cornbread: collard greens, spinach, long green beans, coconut milk, fresno chili, fried garlic, young coconut meat, cilantro, toasted cornbread and crushed peanuts
- Ham Musubi: nori, pandan sticky rice, ham patty, chared pineapple, and scallion
- Michelada: beer, kalimansi ice cubes, and Mexican fruit spice
THALI SUPPERCLUB — The next edition of Leena Ezekial's Thali Supperclub goes vegetarian — with an emphasis on exploring the centuries-old practice of Ayurvedic food combining. The dinner is Saturday, June 13, at 6:30 p.m. at Din Din (920 NE Glisan St., Portland). Cost $60 and 10 percent of the proceeds will be donated to Mercy Corps' relief efforts in Nepal. For reservations, email email@example.com or call 503-754-6456.
COALITION BREWING — Red Duck Ketchup has teamed up with Coalition Brewing to produce two special beers in honor of National Ketchup Day (yes, there's a national day for everything). On Friday, June 5, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., be one of the first 50 people to stop by Coalition and you'll get one of two of their ketchup beers — Spicy Ketchup Beer or Curry Ketchup Red Ale. The first 100 attendees will get frankfurters from Olympia Provisions. And Red Wagon Creamery will on hand scooping samples of Red Duck Molé ice cream, made with the same spice blend Red Duck uses in its spicy ketchup.