clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ox Reopens After Last Night's Service-Ending Smoke Out

The smoke has cleared.

The wood-fired grill at Ox
The wood-fired grill at Ox
Facebook/Ox

Last night, a malfunctioning ventilation hood caused Ox to fill with smoke and close mid-service. "I had to evacuate," front of house manager Dani Weiner told Eater by phone. "As gracefully as possible, I bought everyone their dinner and asked them to evacuate. The restaurant was empty by five minutes to seven."

After the hood stopped working, Ox's well-known wood-fired grill quickly filled the restaurant with smoke, causing many to think that a full-on fire had broken out in the kitchen. Ox confirms that there wasn't a fire, only a ventilation malfunction, which has been fixed. Tonight's dinner service should run as usual, and the restaurant will open at 5 p.m.

Ox

2225 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Portland, Oregon 97212 Visit Website

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Portland newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world