The dumpling gods have spoken: The folks behind internationally celebrated xiao long bao house Din Tai Fung confirmed the chain will open its first Oregon location within the Washington Square Mall December 14. The chain posted the opening date on its Instagram, noting that the location is now accepting reservations through Yelp.
After Eater PDX spotted the restaurant’s business license in April (with the help of multiple Eater tipsters — thanks for that), franchise owner David Wasielewski told the Oregonian that the spot will open at the Washington Square mall “around the holiday season.”
According to the Oregonian story, the shop will have a menu identical to the Washington locations’, with Taiwanese favorites like braised beef noodle soup as well as the world-famous xiao long bao. This will be the year’s second mall dumpling shop to open, after Vegas dim sum outpost Yong Kang Street opened in Pioneer Place. Signs seem to indicate Din Tai Fung’s dumplings will be much better than those.
Update: Monday, December 10, 2018, 9:02 a.m.
This story was updated to include the restaurant’s official opening date.
• Din Tai Fung [Official]
• Din Tai Fung [Instagram]
• Din Tai Fung reservations [Yelp]
• Din Tai Fung will open its first Oregon location this year [The O]
• It Looks Like Din Tai Fung Is Planning to Open at Washington Square [EPDX]
• People Are Not Happy with New Dumpling Spot Yong Kang Street [EPDX]
• At Din Tai Fung, xiao long bao — wow! — and other dumpling delights [Seattle Times]