Highly anticipated wine emporium Bar Norman will open July 17, according to its Instagram page. Natural wine darling Dana Frank announced plans to open her own natural wine bar earlier this year, serving natural wine glass pours exclusively — no bottle list, no huge-production, highly processed wines, just 20-25 funky pours. Although several restaurants have opened wine bars with edgy and inventive menus this year, Bar Norman will focus on the wine; food will be limited to tinned fish, high quality charcuterie, and small, briny, wine-friendly bites.
Frank turned heads for her hip hop pop-up Natty by Nature and her somm work for Ava Gene’s and Holdfast Dining; she also helped open Dame, a NE Killingsworth wine bar she’s since left. She says Bar Norman will be her “most personal project yet,” named for her grandfather and centered around her career as a sommelier. The spot will be small and only open from 4 p.m. to midnight Tuesdays through Saturdays, so grab a spot while you can.
• Bar Norman [Official]
• Bar Norman [Instagram]
• Wine Star Dana Frank to Open Bar Norman on SE Clinton [PoMo]
• Cathy Whims Wants to Teach Portland’s Newbies to Love Wine [EPDX]
• All Canard coverage [EPDX]
• Look Inside Arden Wine Bar and Kitchen, Where Smoke and Seafood Reign [EPDX]
• Get a Taste of OK Omens, the New Bar Filling Cafe Castagna’s Shoes [EPDX]
• Sommelier Dana Frank IN at Holdfast Dining [EPDX]
• How Dame Plans to Make Natural Wines a Big Deal [EPDX]
• What to Drink Now: Sommeliers on the Best Wines for Summer [Departures]