It’s been a rough fall for Kenny & Zuke’s, the classic Portland deli with locations across the city: Less than a month after announcing plans to file for bankruptcy, owner Ken Gordon broke the news today that Kenny & Zuke’s Bagelworks, the Northwest Portland location, will close after service on October 20.
“We have lost our lease over at our Bagelworks shop and Bakery on NW Thurman,” Gordon writes in a Facebook post. “We tried to get a renewal for the last several months, but, alas, it was not to be.” Gordon told the alt-paper Willamette Week that the closure isn’t related to the recent decision to file Chapter 11; instead, he says that he spent four months of lease negotiations with his landlord before deciding to leave the space.
The NW Thurman location was also home to the restaurants’ bakery; the whole operation will move into the downtown Kenny & Zuke’s location, as well as the majority of the restaurant’s staff. The Kenny & Zuke’s location within Portland International Airport will also remain open.
• Kenny & Zuke’s [Official]
• Closure announcement [Facebook]
• Portland Deli Staple Kenny and Zuke’s Is Closing Its Northwest Portland Bagel Shop [WWeek]
• Classic Portland Deli Kenny & Zuke’s Is Filing for Bankruptcy [EPDX]
• Previous Kenny & Zuke’s Bagelworks coverage [EPDX]