The city was hit with a doughnut’s worth of powdered-sugar snow last night, and in true Portland fashion, everyone is bracing for the customary breakdowns and abandoned cars — the O has already reported a handful of accidents this morning. It’s possible things could get icy tonight as well, depending on whatever moisture remains on the ground when things drop below freezing. Many Portland restaurants will go on with service as usual, but a few are shutting down to make three-inch-tall snowmen and avoid the hot mess that could become our roads:
• Mi Mero Mole, the popular downtown taqueria known for its guisados, announced on Twitter that it would be closed for breakfast service today, opening in the afternoon for all-you-can-eat tacos.
• Legendary pizzeria Apizza Scholls will be closed tonight, after closing early last night because of the weather. “We don’t mess with icy roads,” the announcement tweet reads.
• Burnside Brewing Co. got ahead of the storm and decided to play it safe last night. The pub will be closed all day today.
• Tight Tacos’ Jacobsen Salt location is closed for the weather, according to the restaurant’s Instagram story. No word on the status of the SE Hawthorne location.
• Foster-Powell brunch cart the Egg Carton will be closed today because of the weather.
• Bento cart Samurai Lunchbox has closed today in Westmoreland because of the “freezing temperatures.”
• Quaint bakery Saint Cupcake has closed today because of the weather, but those anticipating cupcake orders shouldn’t worry; someone will be in the shop to answer phone calls and messages later in the day.
• Fomo Chicken, the Korean fried chicken cart, has closed today, though it’s likely not because of the snow; the restaurant is celebrating Lunar New Year, reopening tomorrow.
• Mt. Tabor neighborhood destination Coquine will be closed for an unrelated reason, as well: The restaurant’s team will be throwing their holiday party today.
This story will be updated throughout the day. Is a restaurant or cafe in your neighborhood taking a snow day? Tell us about it.