Big’s Chicken is coming home. The Beaverton-based restaurant, known for its Alabama-style barbecue birds, will reopen in Portland this summer, The Oregonian reports.
In April 2017, Big’s Chicken opened in the former Big Ass Sandwiches location on NE Glisan, after piquing interest as the Five Napkin Chicken pop-up. From the people behind Laurelhurst Market, Big’s served smoked-and-grilled chickens slathered in a white Alabama-style barbecue sauce, as well as hulking jojos. By the summer of that year, the restaurant went up in flames, closing Big’s right as it was developing a following. The restaurant reopened in Beaverton in 2018, drawing new crowds for smoked chicken, pickles, and jojos.
Now, Big’s is returning to NE Glisan, opening a second shop blocks from its original spot. Moving into The Hutch tavern space, Big’s 2.0 will have 60 seats, a full liquor license, and the same menu as its Beaverton location, including its obsession-inducing chicken. More details — including its official opening date — will come as the build-out finishes.
• Big’s Chicken [Official]
• Big’s Chicken will return to Portland less than 10 blocks from the original location [The O]
• Big’s Chicken by Laurelhurst Market Crew Opens This Friday [EPDX]
• Big’s Chicken Went Up in Flames Early Thursday Morning [EPDX]
• After a Business-Ending Fire, a New Big’s Chicken Is Coming Back This Summer [Willamette Week]
• Previous Big’s Chicken coverage [EPDX]